Opioid Addiction Treatment for the Elderly
When it comes to members of the elderly demographic, there is effective, age-specific addiction treatment available.
The disease of addiction does not discriminate. Unfortunately, some believe they are safe from substance abuse and dependency because of their age, social standing, or mental and physical health. The truth is, no matter how young or old you are, no matter how rich or poor you are, and no matter how physically and mentally capable you are, you can still develop addictive disorders. For substance abuse and dependency to occur, there typically need to be some underlying contributing factors at play. This will vary on a person-to-person basis but can include things like:
- Family history of substance abuse/genetics.
- Underlying, untreated mental health disorders.
- Battling adverse circumstances like poverty, debt, extreme boredom, the lack of a mentally stimulating environment, and extremely high-stress levels.
- Peer pressure (this is often the case for teenagers and young adults).
- Extreme loneliness – in many cases, individuals who experience significant loss will turn to drugs and alcohol as a means of self-medication.
- The prescribing of potent narcotic painkillers.
Opioid Addiction Treatment for Senior Citizens
When it comes to elderly adults, prescribing narcotic painkillers is a major factor regarding addiction. In many cases, elderly adults will be prescribed medications like oxycodone and hydrocodone for chronic pain. These medications are typically safe when taken exactly as prescribed, but they are habit-forming and frequently lead to consistent drug abuse. Fortunately, when it comes to members of the elderly demographic, there is effective, age-specific addiction treatment available. For more information, call Absolute Awakenings today. We offer comprehensive and individualized opioid addiction treatment for members of the elderly population. We understand their unique needs and have developed a treatment program for those over 65.
The Elderly and The Opioid Epidemic
Generally speaking, older adults are far more likely to suffer from chronic pain-related issues, like rheumatoid arthritis and cancer-related pain. Unfortunately, not only does this make them more likely to be prescribed opioid narcotic medications, but it makes them more prone to developing painkiller abuse disorders. Of course, opioid abuse and addiction affect all age groups – no one is immune to substance abuse. But elderly individuals are significantly more susceptible. Interestingly enough, older adults are rarely discussed in the context of opioid addiction – this is mostly because when individuals overdose, the more “untimely” overdose-related deaths are discussed more in-depth. This does not mean that elderly adults do not overdose on opioids; overdose-related death is very common among men and women over 65.
If you know someone who has been suffering at the hands of opioid addiction, or if you suspect that you might be struggling with addiction and you cannot successfully quit on your own for any significant period, we are available to help. Absolute Awakenings provides an unmatched level of clinical care in a safe, supportive, and luxury-style treatment facility.
Absolute Awakenings – Age-Specific Treatment
At Absolute Awakenings, we offer age-specific treatment to elderly individuals who have been suffering at the hands of opioid addiction and all other substance abuse disorders. Elderly individuals must have access to unlikely-developed treatment programs that focus on their unique issues. As part of our elderly-focused addiction treatment program, we introduce men and women over 65 to alternative pain management methods.
We have licensed massage and physical therapists on staff who work with our clients, helping relieve chronic pain without using addictive narcotic medications. If you or your loved one has been suffering at the hands of opioid addiction and needs professional help to quit long-term, Absolute Awakenings is available to help. Give us a call today to learn more about our comprehensive program of age-specific opioid addiction recovery.
- Section 5 PE Tables – Results from the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Detailed Tables, SAMHSA, CBHSQ. Accessed January 17, 2023. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/reports/rpt29394/NSDUHDetailedTabs2019/NSDUHDetTabsSect5pe2019.htm
- Jaqua EE, Nguyen V, Scherlie N, Dreschler J, Labib W. Substance Use Disorder in Older Adults: Mini Review. Addict Health. 2022;14(1):62-67. doi:10.22122/ahj.v14i1.1311
- Kramarow EA, Tejada-Vera B. Drug Overdose Deaths in Adults Aged 65 and Over: United States, 2000-2020. NCHS Data Brief. 2022;(455):1-8.
Absolute awakeings treatment center editoral guideline
At Absolute Awakenings, we take information integrity seriously. We have dedicated our resources to ensure that all content published to our blog is medically sound. As such, all content on our blog has been thoroughly reviewed by a doctorate level clinician such as a Medical Doctor, or Psy.D, so that you can trust all of the data we publish.