Can You Overdose on Barbiturates?
It is possible to overdose on these drugs when you take too many of them at once or when you misuse them. It is also possible to overdose on barbiturates when you mix them with other sedative-hypnotic drugs. Mixing them with alcohol could also have dangerous consequences.
Signs and Symptoms of Barbiturates Overdose
An overdose presents symptoms of confusion, weakness, nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Many people will fall unconscious due to the hypnotic (sleep-inducing) nature of these drugs.
Their breathing will also become very shallow, and some may stop breathing completely. Others may have very slow heart rates, and it is possible for the heart to stop if it starts beating too slowly.
Most barbiturates, like phenobarbital, are quickly absorbed into the body and have a peak around two to four hours after administration. If one takes too much orally or mixes it with other substances, this is when an overdose is most likely.
If a person snorted or injected the substance, the overdose symptoms would be almost instant.
What to do if you suspect someone is overdosing on Barbiturates:
A person who has overdosed must receive medical attention as soon as possible. This will increase their chance of survival. Always call for medical help if you find someone who has overdosed.